Modular hardware and library for scrolling text displays
Parola is a modular scrolling text display using MAX7219/21 LED matrix display controllers. The display is made up of any number of identical modules that are plugged together to create a wider/longer display.
- Text left, right or center justification in the display
- Text scrolling, entry and exit effects
- Control display parameters and animation speed
- Support for hardware SPI interface
- Multiple virtual displays (zones) in each string of LED modules
- User defined fonts and/or individual characters substitutions
The aim was to create a 'lego-like' approach to LED matrix display, using standard 8x8 LED matrices. The software supports this flexibility through a scalable approach that only requires the definition of the number of modules to adapt existing software to a new configuration.
The Parola software has a dependency on the MD_MAX72xx Arduino library
. The library implements functions to simplify the implementation of text special effects on the LED matrix.
Parola discussion on the Arduino forum
and kits available from Tayda Kits